Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's 11:30pm and I'm sweating!

I'm also sunburned! It is finally starting to sink in that I'm actually in Buenos Aires. I've been so overwhlemed by all of the adjusting that I've hardly had the time to stop and think about the fact that I'm actually here....and I love it! Our ten days of orientation are almost over and classes will start within the next two weeks. Although I'm anxious to see what things will really be like, I'm content with spending afternoon breaks in the park and eating empenadas and tortas like it's my job. Before I left, I was talking with my older sister about taking classes through Argentine Universities with Argentine students and all Michaela had to say was,
"Mal, you're going to crap yourself when you sit down to the first day of classes, it's going to be so funny." Probably not for me, thanks.

This last weekend some friends from the program and I adapted to Argentine lifestyle by taking on a parrilla, their version of a steakhouse. We had steaks the size of our head and four bottles of wine for $15/person. How does that work!? We stayed out dancing until 7am, the sun was literally shining through my bedroom windows as I was getting into bed! The crazy thing was that as we walked down the streets back to our houses, the clubs were still bumping. There was also a line at Burger King out the door, apparently BK is Argentina's equivalent to Ian's pizza?

Sunday I spent the day completing a photo assignment by wandering around an art fair that they have every saturday and sunday in my neighborhood, one of the coolest things ever. The art fair reminded me of Madison's farmers market, Latino style.




This is the same park that I had initially ran through and loved. The fact that it has this farmer's market type fair only reaffirms why it is so freakin' sweet.



I also looked around the cemetary near my house where they buried alot of important people in Argentine history, including Eva Peron.

Two new additions to my list of favorite interactions have been with:
1. The two Swiss travelers that have moved into my house for 15 days, they speak 5 different languages, including english, so we eat our dinner together and bond over our trouble understanding Mirta.
2. My doorman, Alfredo, is. the. shit. He is this cute little man with a mustache that smiles and unlocks the apartment building door for me each afternoon. After taking note of the fact that I often leave the apartment to go running, he stopped me today on my way back in with a little card of information about the Argentine running club that meets every monday, wednesday, and friday near the park by my house. Alfredo, let's join the running club together and be best friends forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment