Friday, April 9, 2010

Dear Melanie

As an ode to my sister's upcoming visit, I've decided to create a blog post type letter, if you will, to let her know just what it is that she's gotten herself in to.
Melanie, baby girl:

1. I've stolen your identity. sorry. Apparently "Melanie" is easier to pronounce than "Mallory" in Argentina. My conversations with new aqcuaintances usually go like this:
Como te llamas?
Mallory
Melanie?
No, Mallory.
Melanie?
Mal.... yup, Melanie, perfect.
If Dad and Grandma Peggy don't know the difference, why would my spanish teacher?

2. Despite the fact that I have been here for 6 weeks, I still have no idea what I'm doing. I average 4 pretty embaressing things a day. Latest one? Not washing the fruit I ate and getting sick for the third time this month while I was out running. I had 3 construction workers laughing at me as I barged past them to use their port-a-potty.

3. They eat beef the way we eat chicken, wine and beer are both cheaper than water, and that's mayo that they brought you with your bread, not butter.
In fact, that's mayo that they brought you with everything you ordered.
Their concept of a vegetable is potato puree and you´ll be hard pressed to find something that they don´t eat with Dulce de Leche, their form of carmel.
My lastest purchase was Dulce de Leche Oreos, and that´s just the begining, my friend.

4. Please bring me the biggest jar of peanut butter you can find.

5. It´s winter here, pack a longleeve shirt

6. If you think you hear Glee or Mama Mia coming from the next room, you do, compliments of the CD I made for Mirta.

7. We now share a bathroom with our host brother who just got back from his vaction in California. He has longer hair than you, so a smart woman gets her behind in the shower before he does or risks bathing in agua fria. This lesson was learned the hard way. twice.

8. Foam party todos los viernes y sabados. It´s so wrong, but so right.

9. I miss you and love you and can´t wait to have you here!

2 comments:

  1. haha Mal you're cute. I can't wait til you're home and I can hear your voice tell these stories. Love you girl- and start washin' yo fruit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay I finally figured out how to post a comment!

    One week and one day! It's okay, we will both introduce ourselves as Melanie. You be Melanie, I'll be Mel.

    You know I like me some dulce de leche. And foam parties! Plus I'm looking forward to some chicken fangers from Burger King at 6am. While we're eating them fangers we'll call Michaela and be annoying HAHA.

    When you say bring a long sleeve shirt, does that mean one because its chilly at night or is that my go to shirt everyday?

    ReplyDelete