Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Montevideo; Uruguay's armpit.


My study abroad program sponsors different activities for students to do throughout the semester. The lastest was a field trip to Colonia, Uruguay where the director of my program, Mario, and his do-rag wearing partner, Sergio, hosted us for an afternoon at their gorgeous bed and breakfast. We spent the afternoon strolling through Mario's lemon grove and eating asado, argentine bbq. Mario poured the wine while Sergio scolded us for eating from the fruit platter before eating our steak - apparently that is NOT how an asado is eaten. My apologies, Sergio, let's put this behind us, your do-rag and tight t- shirt have me wishing you were my gay friend forever. After a night tour through the cobblestone streets of Colonia, I was feeling excited aobut having a break from busy Buenos Aires.

Mario and Sergio's B&B


Mario was reppin Wisconsin on our trip - and you know that I was too, to the embaressment of my peers. whatevs.




Since we were already in Uruguay, My friend Katherine and I decided to take a bus to Uruguay's capital city, Montevideo.
Like Singapore to Malaysia (Michaela and Paul), as soon as we stepped off the bus in dirty Montevideo, shit hit the fan.
If the Asian men following and hollering at us through the city's main square or the perpetual smell of urine weren't enough to convince me that montevideo was nast, Katheirne being mugged by a gang of 8 year old boys in broad daylight pushed me over the edge.
Katherine chased little Juan Carlos and Co. down, though, after they had ripped the leather strap of her purse off of her shoulder. Her long legs and crazed eyes had the hoodlems wishing they had never been born. They tossed her purse to the side of the street and scattered. Katherine grabbed her bag containing all of her belongings back, and rejoined me silently on the street. Neither of us knowing what to say or how to feel after she had just rocked getting mugged - by 8 year olds.....
The rest of the afternoon and evening passed according to Montevideo manner, sketchy - including piropos (catcalls) from the bartender at the restaurant we had dinner at. umm?? we're in your restaurant...
We arrived two hours early to catch our bus back to Colonia the next morning.
Montevideo, see you never.


Mallory and Katherine, pre Montevideo

4 comments:

  1. the B&B is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want in on that B&B action! Also, you mean you didn't put your chicken legs to use? Come on, your were born for that shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought we agreed to never mention our ill-fated trip to Jahore Baru ;) Cold, curried, gangrenous crow's egg, anyone?

    ReplyDelete