Wednesday, April 7, 2010

La Semana Santa

To my delight, Argentina celebrates Easter starting on holy Thursday. To take advantage of the time off of class, I headed to El Calafate and El Chalten for some Glacier sightseeing and Mountain trekking in Patagonia. Two fellow Sconnies, Dan and Zach and our friend Emily and I headed for the South of South America where we had the chance to experience some of the greatest things of our lives.

El Calafate: Known for its access to glacier Perrito Moreno, one of the largest glaciers left on Earth (and still growing!). We met up with two of our friends from the program and spent the first half of our trip glacier loving and drinking cheap wine.





El Chalten: After a 3 hour bus ride, we arrived in El Chalten. Here we spent 3 days trekking and camping at the base of Mount Fitz Roy. For anyone who knows how much of a baby I am when it comes to the cold, you would not believe that I actually slept on the mountain in a tent in close to 0 degree whether. I did it in 8 layers and a hat, but nevertheless, I think I've made progress on conquering the cold!




This is the mountain we slept by! Our second morning, we got up to hike to the best viewing point to watch the sunrise.


Wanda, let the good times roll.


View of the town of El Chalten

1 comment:

  1. WOAHH!! Looks amazing, always wanted to go see glaciers. Would pass on the sleeping on the cold mountain thing though, I will leave that to you. Looks incredible Wanda!

    ReplyDelete