Monday, February 22, 2010

I'm hungry and I don't know what to do

My first blog from Buenos Aires!
I have made it safely to Avenida Santa Fe, my new home for the next 4 1/2 months. I feel like I've spent so much time talking about and anticipating this trip that it's weird to actually be here. The travel went smoothly, despite a minor panic attack in Atlanta's airport, waiting to board my flight. My stomach knotted with nerves. The feeling has yet to pass.
My new home is a posh little apartment, where I have a room with two window/doors looking out on to Avenida Santa Fe. It's Thunderstorming here right now, apparently very unusual for February in Argentina. I'm grateful. I love Thunderstorms.






I've spent the afternoon getting to know my house mom, Mirta. Firecracker! She speaks no english - which I think will be good for me - but she also is quite strict about the rules in her house and I think she's frustrated that I can't really understand.
I think I already got yelled at for not closing the bathroom door properly after I was finished brushing my teeth. I can't be sure though. oops.
I can tell I have alot to learn not only about their language, but about their culture as well.
Mirta sat me down at the kitchen table, we both did our best to manage a conversation. She chain smoked 3 cigarrettes while telling me about her family, I smiled politely, only catching every 3rd word, and using "como?" more than I wanted to.
When I asked her if I could go exploring, she was excited that I wanted to get a feel for the neighborhood. Mirta gave me a 5 minute saftey speech. When she finished, she asked if I understood. "entiendes?"
"ummm... mas o menos?" I replied
Mirta grabbed my hand witih one of hers and she put the other to my face.
"ohhh pobrecita"
This is going to be rough......

So, like a true American, I put on my nikes, jorts, and tie dyed shirt and wanderded aimlessly along the streets of Buenos Aires. The trek helped me orient myself a little bit, but I have a feeling I'll be getting lost quite frequently, it's in my nature.

I finish this blog entry with my initial problem solved. After waking up from a nap really hungry, I realized I didn't know the house etiquette for food and meal times. Is it rude to ask for food? Is she serving a meal soon? Should I just secretly sneak a snack in my room? No, don't do that. Mirta interrupted my thoughts by offering me coffee and cookies. crisis averted. for now, anyways. Regardless, I'm finding that one of the biggest adjustments is going to be living in someone else's home and not feeling the liberty to be as presumptuous as I would like. I'll get over it. Despite a few intial adjustment issues, my first impression of Buenos Aires is wonderful!
The weather is perfectly humid and sticky, the fresh rain makes me smile, and the bustling city is definitely what I was hoping for.

Besos!


An outing to Ted's Bar - (woo woo Roseville!) the night before I left.
Miss you guys already.

3 comments:

  1. OMG DO NOT SNEAK SNACKS!!! Ultimate fat kid move. Just kidding, you should totally do it. Ooohhh pobrecita. too much too much. i can't wait to hear about all your adventures! AND, did you dye your hair? your color and michaela's look exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go to the store and stash some snacks. What is worse, having a cheeky granola bar or being bitchy to your new mother because you are too hungry to try and speak Spanish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAL!! I saw the link to your blog on FB and I'm soo happy I did! LOVE reading what you write. As I read over it and in my head imagine it in your little voice I have been getting some good laughs in. Glad you are liking it down there! Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete